Wear It Now
10 Simple Steps to a More Stylish Summer
Get the Perfect Summer Cut
Cropped short and low on the sides (with electric clippers) and jagged on top (with scissors). And if you’ve been thinking about buzzing it all off, now’s the time to do it. Just be sure to taper the edges around the back and around the ears, “otherwise the look is too prison-y,” says Jordan Blackmore of Three Squares Studio.
In the summer, you want something non-greasy with a matte finish, like this stuff from Kevin Murphy. Here’s how to apply it:
1. Scoop some product with three fingers and warm it up between your palms.
2. Starting from the back of your head, work it through your hair without getting at the roots (it’s unnecessary).
3. Once it’s distributed, muss things up with your fingers until it’s as choppy as you want it
available at www.amazon.com
Ever notice how your hair somehow looks and feels better after a day at the beach? The combination of sun, sand, and salt water gives it a coarse, pliable quality that this styling product approximates surprisingly well. Work it through hair that’s dry or close to it—you’ll swear you can still hear the ocean.
available at bumbleandbumble.com
The summer heat ratchets up your metabolism, which means your skin cells die at a much faster rate. To steer clear of the kind of buildup that’ll clog your pores, you need to start exfoliating a couple of times a week. Try this stuff, from a new line of products based on Japanese ingredients, which smooths and brightens your complexion on the spot—and also acts as the perfect preshave treatment.
Don’t neglect the skin on the rest of your body. You’re going to be exposing more of it—so make sure it looks vibrant. Exfoliate about once a week with an exfoliating (not abrasive) scrub like this one from Molton Brown.
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: The most important thing a guy can do to stave off wrinkles is wear some form of sunscreen. For protection without the gloppiness of a lot of drugstore stuff, opt for an oil-free moisturizer with an SPF of at least 15. And use it every day. Follow these pointers and you’ll stay shielded while still getting some color.
1. You’re probably using too little. Apply about a shotglass worth over your entire body.
2. Don’t forget your cheekbones and your lips. They get some of the most exposure—and burns there won’t be pretty
3. Choose one that’s water- and sweat-resistant, like this one by Kiehl’s.
4. No matter the SPF or water-resistance, you have to reapply. If you’re going in the water or toweling off, do it every hour. If not, every two hours is safe.
A day in the sun will dehydrate your skin even if you’ve spent it in the water. This gel—cooling, restorative, and downright luxurious—quenches sun-parched skin with aloe vera and melon extract.
Take a Tip from Alford and Hoff
Barry Alford and Jefferson Hoffman—football teammates at Arizona State who went on to launch the men’s line Alford and Hoff—know a thing or two about staying cool. Here, they share their secrets to beating the heat.
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate: Keep a water bottle around and drink as often as you can—it noticeably brightens up your skin and eyes
2. Train differently: When possible, we switch our workouts to the mornings or evenings when it gets cooler. We also love to jog, but in the summer swimming’s an incredible workout that also keeps you cool
3. Eat smarter: In the summer, instead of eating three large meals, we like to eat five smaller ones. You don’t get that feeling of heavy fullness, which can be brutal when it’s also hot out.
Ever get those pale-yellow sweat stains around the underarm area of your dress shirts? The ones your dry cleaner can’t seem to get out? They’re what happens when aluminum—a key ingredient of the “antiperspirant” you’ve been rolling on—reacts with sweat. This all-natural, aluminum- and alcohol-free deodorant by Malin + Goetz will not only keep your shirt wardrobe clean, it’ll keep you smelling fresh for a full twenty-four hours.
Summerize Your Scent: 5 to Try
Don’t smell like last season
1. Prada Eau de Toilette Pour Homme
Smells like green desert grasses. Impeccable, professional; clean and pressed.prada.com
vailable at Diesel stores nationwide. Visit www.diesel.com for a complete list of store location
available at select Saks Fifth Avenue stores, check www.saks.com for locations
Watch, $325, similar styles available at www.swissarmy.com
and band, $29, available at www.smartturnout.com